Sunday, February 3, 2008

Stop and take the picture

Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


One of the things that I stress to my friends and to photographers that I mentor is that one has to bring a camera everywhere one goes to make good photographs. Many times, we are in a rush to get somewhere and think to ourselves, "That looks cool; next time I'll stop and get the shot!". Thing is, in regards to that moment, that day, that feeling, that light.... there IS no next time.

Often, when I'm driving from Whistler to Vancouver on the Sea to Sky Highway,
I'll be looking up at the Squamish Chief, or as it's more correctly named, Stawamus Chief in awe. The rock is sometimes revealed in steaming silver sunlight after a rain or after snowfall. This time, the snow made a beautiful contrast with the rockface.

We were on our way to a baby shower in Burnaby (actually, I was joining buddies for the Superbowl, Regina was going to a baby shower) and I DID pull over when it was safe and took one minute to get a shot of Diamondhead, and five minutes later, of the Chief. I'm glad I did! And took one more when we got to the top of Burnaby Mountain where we were watching the game.

No comments: